Our newest quick-change/roll-on roll-off aerospace medical module is the Aeromedical Bio-Containment Module (ABCM). It is the safe choice for pandemic rapid response teams, as well as others. This “flying emergency room” is easily loaded onto many cargo aircraft, including C-130, C-17, A400M, C2, and C-5. This is a specialized type of Aeromedical Bio-Containment Evacuation System (ABES).
Medical Module Advantages
- Built on Knight Aerospace’s proven module system
- Allows for emergency patient transport for up to 18, plus medical personnel
- Negative air pressurization keeps air crew safe
- Aircraft can return to service immediately without the need for costly and time-consuming decontamination
- Flies without waivers
- Built on the platform certified airworthy by the U.S. Air Force and Lockheed Martin, with approvals from all major aircraft OEMs
- FAA Certifiable
- Once unloaded and connected to a power supply, the ABCM becomes a mobile patient care room
Aeromedical Bio-Containment Module Now in Production
The Knight Aerospace Aeromedical Bio-Containment Module (ABCM) is in full production, which can be scaled to meet domestic needs immediately. This follows many years of research, development, and design in partnership with aircraft manufacturers and medical professionals. We were also assisted by an advisory council featuring top retired military commanders, including a former U.S. Air Force Surgeon General. Our current Chief Medical Officer is the distinguished Jay A. Johannigman, M.D. FACS. He is overseeing the ongoing development and delivery of our leading-edge technology, like the ABCM, a specialized type of Aeromedical Bio-Containment Evacuation System (ABES).
Pictured above, two Aeromedical Bio-Containment Module interior layout options. Module configurations can accommodate 4-18 patients and medical capabilities can be customized. Distinct anteroom and staff area separate the aerospace medical staff from the patients.
Aeromedical Bio-Containment Module (ABCM) Key Features
- Three separate areas: patient area, anteroom, and staff area
- Five standard pallet positions in length
- Optional use of a full five-pallet position module or two modules, one three-pallet positions in length (patient area) and one two-pallet positions in length (anteroom and staff area)
- Can be utilized to transport up to 18 patients simultaneously and treat patients with different degrees of acuity, including highly contagious diseases like COVID-19
- To achieve a higher patient count, the single medical beds or Medical Stacking Litters are changed with economy class seats
- Provides complete separation of patient and medical crew from air crew, including negative pressurization and separate oxygen system. This allows for safer medical transport of contagious patients.
- Easy decontamination allows for cargo aircraft to return quickly to service after the ABCM is delivered.
- Egress walkway on the aft/left-hand side of the medical module for forward-to-aft walkway inside the C-130 aircraft (walkway is in the wheel well area)
- State-of-the-art hospital environment accommodates not only highly contagious patients, but also allows for transformation for major trauma, resuscitative, and surgical procedures while in flight.
- Acoustic package decreases noise levels inside the medical module during flight
- Customization options also include telemedicine capabilities. This provides additional expertise during patient transport or when units are staged on the ground as part of efforts to surge medical facilities in impacted areas.
- Optional features include the inclusion of an environmental control unit (for heating and cooling) with positive pressurization, as well as a cabin management system, and an increased acoustic and vibration package.